la renta
Tax Modelo 100 in Spain for Residents

Taxes for Residents

Taxes for Residents in Spain

in Spain explained

We will submit your spanish tax returns for just 123 €
- be done in 5 minutes!

1. Fill in your details

You fill in your tax details on our site in less than 5 minutes.

If you have any questions we will guide you through phone, chat or e-mail.

2. We file your taxes for you

We will calculate your tax, make sure that the information is correct and send you a draft before we submit it to the tax authority.

When you are satisfied we file the tax return to Agencia Tributaria.

The tax payment will be set on direct debit and you do not have to go to the bank.

3. You are done and receive your tax return

You will receive your tax return from us and the tax will be collected by the Spanish tax authority from your Spanish bank account via direct debit.

1. Fill in your details

You fill in your tax details on our site in less than 5 minutes.

If you have any questions we will guide you through phone, chat or e-mail.

2. We file your taxes for you

We will calculate your tax, make sure that the information is correct and send you a draft before we submit it to the tax authority.

When you are satisfied we file the tax return to Agencia Tributaria.

The tax payment will be set on direct debit and you do not have to go to the bank.

3. You are done and receive your tax return

You will receive your tax return from us and the tax will be collected by the Spanish tax authority from your Spanish bank account via direct debit.

Taxes for Residents in Spain explained

Updated 15/05/2024

To be Resident in Spain for tax purposes

If you spend more than 183 days per calendar year in Spain you will be considered as tax Resident in Spain. This is nothing you can choose and it differs from Padron or a Residency permit “Residencia”. If you live more than half a year in Spain and need to declare taxes as Resident we will do your taxes for you. It does also not matter which visa you are using to stay in Spain, the tax laws are different from visa and residency permits.

This service is for you who live in Spain permanently. You work or are retired and need to file taxes in Spain yearly for your global income. We help you file your taxes and give you the advise you need.

We know how difficult it can be with taxes in Spain and we are here to help you with any questions you might have. Read more on this page about taxes in Spain and about declaring taxes as Resident.

If you spend less than half the year in Spain and normally pay taxes in another country you will be considered a Non-Resident. If you are a Non-Resident, please click here to go to our page for Non-Residents taxes.

We can help you to declare your taxes in Spain as Residents easily. 

You just need to send us information about:

  • what income you have received globally (salaries, pensions, dividends, investments and the source country)
  • any special deductions you wish to make
  • if you are paying taxes in any other country

We will verify the information and calculate your taxes and send you a draft. When you are happy with the calculation, we file the taxes and set up direct debit for the payment of the tax so you do not need to go to a Spanish bank physically to pay the tax.

We will offer you advice and guidance along the way, for example about deductions which will lower your tax amount. If you have any questions, for example about deductions, you can always reach us by e-mail or phone,

Please continue reading below and we will explain Taxes for Residents in Spain

We have a 5 star rating on Google from our clients. Please click on the photo to read reviews from our clients on Google.

The Spanish tax rates are quite similar to other European countries. The tax rate is progressive and generally low incomes mean low taxes. Tax rules in Basque country and Navarra might differ from what you read on this page.

In general, you will pay partly a state tax and partly regional tax to your autonomous region.

The tax rates for 2021 and 2022 are according to the following, regional taxes might affect this slightly depending on where you live.

  • 0-12 450 euros                        19 %.
  • 12 450 – 20 200 euros            24 %
  • 20 200 – 35 200 euros            30 %
  • 35 200 – 60 000 euros            37 %
  • 60 000-300 000 euros           45 %
  • Above 300 000 euros             47 %


We will later look at some examples but these are the marginal tax rates.

The amount up to 12 450 euros is taxed by 19 % and the amount between 12 450-20 200 euros taxed at 24 %, meaning you do not pay 24 % for ALL your income if you ear 20 000 euros, just the part which is above 12 450, the rest you just pay 19 %.

There are also standard allowances of minimum 5500 €.

If you own shares, funds or other investments and are wondering about capital income taxes for residents in Spain? 

Capital income, for example shares, funds or similar are taxed at the state level with a tax rate of:

  • 19 %, up to 6000 euros
  • 21 % between 6 000 euros and 50 000 euros.
  • 23 % between 50 000 euros and 200 000 euros
  • 26 % from 200 000 euros.


Please be aware that in some cases what you might think is investment income will be taxed as employment income.

So, now you might think – what kind of incomes are considered employment income? Please keep reading.

Let’s try to clarify what is considered employment income in Spain and for what you will need to declare income taxes for residents in Spain.

Basically, you can consider the below list to be included in employment income:

  • Any salary or pensions received
  • Benefits received from employers (some exceptions might exist)
  • If your employer pays your taxes for you (e.g. some expat contracts includes this)
  • Any tuition fees or school costs that an employer covers for a family member.
  • Any free use of housing or paid housing (special rules apply)
  • Possible deferred pay for work done previous years such as severance packages or in some cases private pensions
  • Rental Income received from property you own (!)

Sure there are! Quite a few to be honest.

One of the bigger ones are salaries received for work done abroad might not be taxed in Spain if they are taxed in another country for an amount up to 60 000 euros.

Your taxes might also be claimed back under a double taxation treaty if you pay taxes in another country as well.

You might have also heard about Beckham Law which was a tax law crafted after the Britith sports star, David Beckham when he moved to Spain. You can read more about Beckham law below.

In any case, we will always make sure you get to enjoy all the benefits, deduccions and exemptions you might be entitled to.

Beckham Law is a special tax law for foreigners who have income in Spain. Under special circumstances you might be able to apply it for your spanish income and tax it at a very low flat tax rate. The rule basically says that people who would need to pay income taxes for residents in Spain now is considered as a Non-Resident for tax purposes. There are several criteria that will be applied to be able to use the Beckham Law and it might not be beneficial if you also pay taxes abroad and utilize a double taxation agreement.

Please do contact us more if you have moved to Spain work work reasons or are planning to move to Spain for work.

If you work for an airline and reside in Spain or reside outside of Spain but work for a Spanish carrier, a special tax regime might apply.

This might also be the case if you work in shipping, on a cruise ship or a private yacht.

Issue relating to airline pilots or people working on ships or yachts tend to get very complicated easily. Perhaps you have just moved from one country to work on a ship in Spain but the ship cruises most of its time outside of Spain?

Have you moved to a Spanish airport base and do most of your flying internationally? Have you or your colleagues applied the Beckham law?

These situations almost always need professional advise since your colleagues might have moved to Spain from different countries and the Beckham law might be applied with various consequences! In some cases applying the Beckham law will make any double taxation agreement void and you would have to pay tax twice for your income!

Please do contact us if you are wondering if you need to pay income taxes for residents in Spain  this is the case and we will advise.

A good question!

This is something you do NOT want to miss when filing taxes in Spain.

Please click here to read more about Modelo 720 and get help filing it.

Another good question! Well, if you have previously declared taxes for residents in Spain and you have low income, you are not obliged to declare “La Renta” in Spain. There are several exceptions thought, for example if you have investment income or income from abroad. Please do contact us if you are unsure and we will help you out!

Rental Income is taxed in Spain in the same bracket as employment income but there are several deductions available making it quite affordable to pay taxes in Spain.

In general, you can deduct any direct costs related to the rental income and there are several general allowances to be made which are often connected to the property value or any purchases you might have made in relation to the property.

You can read more about taxes related to Rental Income on our page for that which is aimed at Non-Residents, but the rules are basically the same, you just have to declare it annually with your yearly income tax statement. We will of course provide you with all the help you need.

Please click here to read more about rental income or let us know if you have any questions.

Yes, but you need to make sense of a rather difficult spanish tax system. Rules also change, tax forms can differ from year to year.

There might also be problems with bank payments or the property values might have been revised between years. The advice you might have found on internet might not be correct and the advice your lawyer or gestor gave you a few years ago might be out of date.

We quite often see cases where somebody has filed for themselves for years and we notice they have not done it correctly.

The good thing about our service is that you won’t have to worry about that and you have access to support if you have any questions.

We like the analogy that sometimes it’s comfortable to go to a restaurant even if you know how to cook. You won’t need to worry about finding a new recipe or doing the dishes. 

But hey, if you love cooking, or doing taxes, you can always spend a few hours making a mess in the kitchen.

You can find the Agencia Tributaria website here and you will need a digital certificate in Spain

If you have come to this site, you probably do have to file taxes in Spain!

If you own a property in Spain, you must declare it in Spain whether you are tax-registered in your home country or Spain. If you spend less than half the year in Spain you might be considered Non-Resident, please click here to read more.

If you spend more than half the year in Spain you will be considered Resident and need to pay taxes in Spain for global income.

Double taxation agreements help you to figure out where to pay taxes and claim back any tax you might be obliged to pay in several countries.

If you have very low income and no capital income you might not have to file a tax return (below 14 000 € in most cases). 

The tax period for Residents is between April and June each year.

If you have you missed a deadline, please do contact us and we will advise you.

If you have assets outside of Spain worth more than 50 000 € you also have to file a Modelo 720 before end of March. Please click here to read more about the Modelo 720.

As a Resident

This depends on your country of origin and the double taxation agreement. If you are considered Resident you will need to pay taxes in Spain. If you also need to pay taxes in your country of origin, this will be governed in the double taxation treaty.

As a Non-Resident

Yes, you must declare in both countries, in Spain you declare your Spanish residence even if you are tax resident in other country normally. If you have rental income, you must declare these in both your home country and Spain and make deductions according to the respective countries’ tax system. You can then claim the Spanish tax back in some cases under double taxation agreements so that you do not have to double tax.

It is NOT recommended trying to avoid paying taxes for residents in Spain. There are heavy penalties and a good chance to be caught, this is especially true for those spending more than half the year in Spain and should declare as Residents. Breaking tax laws in Spain might incur penalties which could amount to more than 150 % of net assets withheld from the tax agency!

There are stories online and among friends about people who never bothered to declare and nothing has happened. However, this is erroneous and very risky since the Spanish tax authority has access to both Spanish property registers and European tax information through a joint tax register in the EU. It can thus be expensive and come at the same time as you simply become a tax saver and break the law.

Also, note that there are “discounts” on the fines if you choose to declare earlier years when you missed.

It is possible to declare taxes for residents in Spain jointly. This does affect your deductions and might be beneficial under some circumstances.

You can add both of your names in our form when you click the red button and we will calculate the most beneficial option for you.

If you leave Spain and during a calendar year do not spend more than 183 days in Spain you can file a form to deregister for taxes residents in Spain and stop paying taxes in Spain. If you have a considerable wealth you might have to pay “exit tax” but this is nothing a person with normal income and assets have to care about (think millions of euros).

You might have heard about double taxation treaties and how you are not supposed to pay tax twice on the same income?

Spain has signed double taxation agreements with several countries and this will help guide who needs to pay taxes and where as well as eliminate any double taxes paid.

You might think, “great, so I just need to pay taxes in Spain!” Well, unfortunately it is not that easy, rather you will often have to pay tax in both countries and the tax rate which is the highest will prevail.

Read more abour double taxation on this link.

Finally, the end!

If you have got this far, you know quite a lot of the basics about taxes for residents in Spain. So, to conclude, is there anything else you should know?

Plenty, but first of all, instead of you putting more time in figuring out things about Spanish taxes, please contact us and we will help you. There are a lot of exceptions and deductions that can be made so make sure you get the advise you need and click on the red button below to get us do the heavy lifting. 

Our Client Stories

I didn't have the opportunity to travel to Palma and I needed help with my tax return. solved it in no time! Finally I have found a smooth online service which does not requiere me being in Spain. 

Helena, Product Manager

Gothenburg, Sweden

I have an appartment in Fuengirola and thought it seemed easy to file my tax return through I filled in my information and got my Modelo 210 without having to pay twice the fee and having the trouble of getting to a law firm in Spain.


Gothenbourg, Sweden
Private tax returns are not my strenght, I am allergic to them (and I work at an accountant doing other peoples tax returns 😊), but your system makes it very easy. Easier that I had thought! Especially with the help I received from you, thanks!

Natasha, office manager at an accountant & Leif, small business owner


First, I thought “I can do this by myself!”, when it was time to present my first non-resident tax return for my place in Tenerife. After I had tried to collect advise and information online, I realized that this is not something I want to put my time into to do it myself.

There was a British website online and I sent my information to them but after an hour they got in touch with me and said they did not want to do my tax return because there was some problem in the Spanish tax authorities system but I never got a good explanation for the problem.

Then I found which took upon my case and visited the tax office for me. Apparently, my address records at the Tax authority were incomplete. helped me to sort everything out. For me it was easy, and I got a really good service.

Jörgen Andersson

Malmö, Sweden

We are two couples who own a vacation home on Mallorca, and we have just finished our Non-Resident Tax return – from home in Sweden – with the help of The whole process was incredibly fast and easy. I can really recommend

Ulrika Bengtsdotter Lind

Vaxholm, Sweden

I can really recommend when you have to present your Non-Resident Tax in Spain.

Easily accessible both through web and e-mail. Super easy and cheap as well. So, once again, thanks Vilho for your help.

Jörgen “Jorge”


Fast and easy service in my language for Spanish tax returns. Really happy with the service from Vilho at

Christer Bergström

Gävle, Sweden

I got help by with the non-resident tax for our apartment in Alicante. I got a quick and professional response, and the tax return was filed in time.

David Wallgren

Stockholm, Sweden

Super fast and smooth service! It was the first time we needed to declare for our apartment in Valencia and of course, I just remembered it at the last moment. We contacted and before the blink of an eye, our tax return was paid and done, everything in one and a single day! I can highly recommend this company!

Thanks a lot for your help Vilho!

Marie och Torgny

Gotland, Sweden

I had forgotten the yearly non-resident tax return just before new years eve but Taxadora helped us with a creative solution and being service minded!

Martin, kindergarden teacher



We really appreciate having consulted for our first declaration of the Spanish property tax. As new owners of an apartment on Mallorca, we have received fast, efficient and professional support by through the web. A smooth way through the Spanish bureaucracy!

Anders och Lena

Mariestad, Sweden

Smooth communication, reliable and so nice to avoid all the mess for a small amount! Thanks a lot!



I am more than satisfied and think you have a great service as well as a fast and smooth handling of my case. I am a client who has come to stay!


Sabina Zällh

Stockholm, Sweden

Advice about a simple way to file Modelo 210 in your own language.

Before you have already done it in 5-10 minutes, find your Ref. and Valor Catastral (the taxable value of the property) which you can find in your latest IBI-bill. Nie nr, Iban to your Spanish bank. You fill in your information which can be stored for the next year and you will just need to add any changes. Fast, easy and cheap, 40 euros including taxes!

Bo Larsson


I have used for Non-Resident Property Tax, 49 euro for two people, easy, thanks Vilho Heiskanen

Pelle Jonsson


Do you need help with other Spanish taxes?

Find us here