Spanish Taxes explained

Wondering about Spanish taxes?

Heard about Modelo 210? NRIT? Modelo 600? La Renta? 

Unsure if you are a “non-resident” or “resident”?

Regardless of what kind of help you need with your spanish taxes, we will guide you.

1. Fill in your details

You fill in your tax details on our site in less than 5 minutes.

If you have any questions we will guide you through phone, chat or e-mail.

2. We present your taxes for you

We calculate your tax, make sure that the information is correct and send your tax declaration to the spanish tax authority.

We set the tax payment on direct debit and you do not have to go to the bank.

3. You are done and receive a confirmation

You will receive a confirmation from us and the tax will be collected by the spanish tax authority from your spanish bank account via direct debit.

Latest tax return in

Questions and answers - Taxes in Spain​

We have automated the process of filing your spanish taxes to make it as easy as possible for you. You fill in your details on our site and we file your taxes for you. We set up direct debit for they payment of taxes so the spanish tax authority will draw the taxes from your spanish tax account. You will receive a confirmation from us and your tax will be paid automatically.

If you prefer, you can make a payment to our client account and we make the payment for you.

We have signed a partnership agreement with the tax authority.

We are a network of economists, lawyers and architects. We focus on tax but help clients with a variety of questions about their spanish properties.

We have signed a partnership agreement with the spanish tax authority and are part of an organisazion for spanish tax accountants. We have also a professional liability insurance for the work we do.

Please do read more about us by clicking here.

Yes, all the information you send to us is encrypted by a similar security that banks use.

We do not have access to your bank account and only use it to set up direct debit for the spanish tax authority. It is only the tax authority who can make direct debit payments from your account. We will never charge your account. 

You pay our fees by a debit/credit card.

No, we do not have access to your bank account, only the spanish tax authority can charge your account through direct debit.

You pay our fees through a debit/credit card.

Yes, but you need to make sense of a rather difficult spanish tax system. Rules also change, tax forms can differ from year to year.

There might also be problems with bank paymentss or the property values might have been revised between years. The advice you might have found on internet might not be correct and the advice your lawyer or gestor gave you a few years ago might be out of date.

We quite often see cases where somebody has filed for themselves for years and we notice they have not done it correctly.

The good thing about our service is that you won’t have to worry about that and you have access to support if you have any questions.

We like the analogy that sometimes it’s comfortable to go to a restaurant even if you know how to cook. You won’t need to worry about finding a new recipe or doing the dishes. 

But hey, if you love cooking, or doing taxes, you can always spend a few hours making a mess in the kitchen.

Please contact us and we will find out why. Sometimes this might be due to the fact that your bank has registered your account with the passport number and not your NIE number. This prohobits the tax authority to make the payment. It can also be that the bank has missspelled your NIE or that one of the owners of the property is not account holder “titular”.


Please do contact us if you feel unsure and we will help you.

It is important that the account holder is the person who is the owner of th property. If you are a couple, make sure that the account is in the name of both owners.

You also have the possibility to make the payment to our client account and we make the payment directly. This can be an opcion if only one of you is stated as account holder for the bank account or if you are near a deadline and there is no time to set up direct debit.

If you own a property in Spain, you must declare it in Spain whether you are tax-registered in your home country or Spain. It is a type of state property tax you pay. Often you also pay a local property tax called IBI, you do not need to declare this, but the municipality automatically deducts it after you are registered as the owner of the home.

If you spend more than half the year in Spain you will be considered tax resident in Spain for all your global income and need to file a tax return as Resident.

If you are a Non-Resident. You must declare no later than December of the year following the tax year. This is true if you do NOT rent out your home. If you rent out your home, you must declare quarterly. The tax is normally deducted on January 21 of the year after you have declared. Ie If you are liable for tax in 2018, you will declare 2019 and your tax will be deducted from your account around January 21, 2020.

If you are Resident you need to declare between April and June.

Yes, you must declare in both countries if you own a property in Spain. In Spain you declare your Spanish property even if you are tax resident in other country normally. If you have rental income, you must declare these in both your home country and Spain and make deductions according to the respective countries’ tax system. 

If you spend more than half the year in Spain and are considered Resident you will need to present taxes in Spain. Your country of origin can also consider you as a tax resident of your country of origin and you might need to pay tax in both countries.

You can then claim back tax in some cases under double taxation agreements so that you do not have to pay double tax.

If you have never declared although you should have done so, we recommend to declare retroactively four years back in time, which is the period that the Spanish tax authority usually goes back to claim unpaid taxes.

You may be able to pay a penalty for the years you missed but fortunately there are discounts for this if you choose to declare the years you missed. Please contact us for further information.

There are stories online and among friends about people who never bothered to declare and nothing has happened. However, this is erroneous and very risky since the Spanish tax authority has access to both Spanish property registers and European tax information through a joint tax register in the EU. It can thus be expensive and come at the same time as you simply become a tax saver and break the law.

Also, note that there are “discounts” on the fines if you choose to declare earlier years when you missed.

You request a tax residency certificate from your home country tax agency. It is a certificate issued by the  Tax Agency to certify that you have your tax residence in your country. This means that you are liable to tax in Spain only as a “non-resident” and only pay tax on the assets and income you receive from Spain.

Normally, you need to submit a tax residence certificate the first time you declare. It may also happen that the tax authority demands this. Then you must apply for one on the your home country´s Tax Agency which shows that you are liable to tax in your home country. You then send us the residence certificate to us and we pass this on to the Spanish tax office.

No, you do not normally need to send in your receipts. Modelo 210 is a preliminary declaration stating the income you have had and the costs you feel you are entitled to deduct. If the tax authorities make a different interpretation or request receipts, you will hear from them and then it is important that you have receipts that are approved.

Our client stories

I didn't have the opportunity to travel to Palma and I needed help with my tax return. Taxadora.com solved it in no time! Finally I have found a smooth online service which does not requiere me being in Spain. 

Helena, Product Manager

Gothenburg, Sweden

I have an appartment in Fuengirola and thought it seemed easy to file my tax return through Taxadora.com. I filled in my information and got my Modelo 210 without having to pay twice the fee and having the trouble of getting to a law firm in Spain.


Gothenbourg, Sweden
Private tax returns are not my strenght, I am allergic to them (and I work at an accountant doing other peoples tax returns 😊), but your system makes it very easy. Easier that I had thought! Especially with the help I received from you, thanks!

Natasha, office manager at an accountant & Leif, small business owner


First, I thought “I can do this by myself!”, when it was time to present my first non-resident tax return for my place in Tenerife. After I had tried to collect advise and information online, I realized that this is not something I want to put my time into to do it myself.

There was a British website online and I sent my information to them but after an hour they got in touch with me and said they did not want to do my tax return because there was some problem in the Spanish tax authorities system but I never got a good explanation for the problem.

Then I found Taxadora.com which took upon my case and visited the tax office for me. Apparently, my address records at the Tax authority were incomplete. Taxadora.com helped me to sort everything out. For me it was easy, and I got a really good service.

Jörgen Andersson

Malmö, Sweden

We are two couples who own a vacation home on Mallorca, and we have just finished our Non-Resident Tax return – from home in Sweden – with the help of Taxadora.com. The whole process was incredibly fast and easy. I can really recommend Taxadora.com

Ulrika Bengtsdotter Lind

Vaxholm, Sweden

I can really recommend Taxadora.com when you have to present your Non-Resident Tax in Spain.

Easily accessible both through web and e-mail. Super easy and cheap as well. So, once again, thanks Vilho for your help.

Jörgen “Jorge”


Fast and easy service in my language for Spanish tax returns. Really happy with the service from Vilho at Taxadora.com

Christer Bergström

Gävle, Sweden

I got help by Taxadora.com with the non-resident tax for our apartment in Alicante. I got a quick and professional response, and the tax return was filed in time.

David Wallgren

Stockholm, Sweden

Super fast and smooth service! It was the first time we needed to declare for our apartment in Valencia and of course, I just remembered it at the last moment. We contacted Taxadora.com and before the blink of an eye, our tax return was paid and done, everything in one and a single day! I can highly recommend this company!

Thanks a lot for your help Vilho!

Marie och Torgny

Gotland, Sweden

I had forgotten the yearly non-resident tax return just before new years eve but Taxadora helped us with a creative solution and being service minded!

Martin, kindergarden teacher



We really appreciate having consulted Taxadora.com for our first declaration of the Spanish property tax. As new owners of an apartment on Mallorca, we have received fast, efficient and professional support by Taxadora.com through the web. A smooth way through the Spanish bureaucracy!

Anders och Lena

Mariestad, Sweden

Smooth communication, reliable and so nice to avoid all the mess for a small amount! Thanks a lot!



I am more than satisfied and think you have a great service as well as a fast and smooth handling of my case. I am a client who has come to stay!


Sabina Zällh

Stockholm, Sweden

Advice about a simple way to file Modelo 210 in your own language. info@taxadora.com.

Before you have already done it in 5-10 minutes, find your Ref. and Valor Catastral (the taxable value of the property) which you can find in your latest IBI-bill. Nie nr, Iban to your Spanish bank. You fill in your information which can be stored for the next year and you will just need to add any changes. Fast, easy and cheap, 40 euros including taxes!

Bo Larsson


I have used Taxadora.com for Non-Resident Property Tax, 49 euro for two people, easy, thanks Vilho Heiskanen

Pelle Jonsson


    Taxes in Spain?​

    We are your online tax advisor in Spain. Taxadora.com is a service for foreigners in Spain who need help with their taxes.

    Maybe you own a property in Spain and need to present your “Non-Resident Income Tax (NRIT)” or maybe you have moved to Spain and it’s time to declare your pension from your country of origin.

    We help you present and pay your spanish taxes and give you some advice along the way.

    Our service was created after our founder was working for a law firm in Spain helping foreigners with their taxes and property purchaces. 

    We have been frequent visitors to spain for more than ten years and decided to develop a service that is cheaper and better than traditional lawfirms or spanish gestors can offer.

    To read more about us, please click here.

    Answer a few questions and find out which taxes in Spain affect you

    What do you need help with?

    About Spanish Taxes

    About our Services

    Find us here